Thursday, September 25, 2008

50 random things...

I am fascinated with the lists of things people post online about themselves. Favourite colour, pets, hobbies and odd facts about strangers whose blogs I read. Sometimes I say 'hey, me too' or know that I am not the only female in the world who dislikes clothes shopping. I guess personal lists not only reveal a little or a lot about a person's life but also shows someone's view on life within a snapshot in time. Perhaps it is also a checklist to reaffirm an interesting life thus far.

I am sometimes surprised by the amount of information people reveal about themselves. I like to think that these people see the world as not filled with stalking creepazoids but rather they see the innocence of what they reveal and know it will not cause anything untoward to occur. But I am not one of those people. Mum always said if I went out anywhere bad, bad things could happen and my life would be shameful forever, so my world is still somewhat filled with stalking creepazoids.

In celebration of lists of all kind, revealing or not, here is a list of random things about me to add to the millions of others out there.

1. I always put far too much chilli sauce/oil onto my food, each time thinking hopefully I have built up my tolerance.
2. I had braces when I was younger.
3. People at work sometimes call me Amanda.
4. My favourite colour is fire engine red.
5. Between a sweet tooth and a savory tooth, I am a savory tooth.
6. My favourite plants come from the Salvia genus.
7. For Christmas I would love a pre-filled 10,000lt water tank or a new camera.
8. I have never owned a VCR.
9. I own two pairs of earrings but thinking of buying a dangly pair for those dangly occasions.
10. I have a Border terrier named Bunji.
11. I am slightly obsessed with flickr.
12. Woody Allen movies make me laugh out loud.
13. I don't know how to drive a manual car.
14. I lose and find my keys about 3 times everyday.
15. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop purchased in 2007 which is now completely superseded though it still does the job superbly.
16. I run Windows XP and use OpenOffice which may explain the still performance superb-ness of my machine.
17. My browser of choice is Firefox.
18. I could eat sushi 3 times a day for weeks.
19. I do drink green tea 7 times a day for years.
20. Someone once said my accent sounded South African.
21. Growing my own vegetables is a real joy.
22. Reading is also a real joy.
23. I dislike long haul flights.
24. Homesickness would always draw me back to Melbourne, but I could live in NYC for a few years.
25. I enjoy cooking and love cleaning up afterward.
26. The smells inside a milk bar are wonderful and remind me of childhood.
27. Issac Asimov's 'Foundation' is a book I have started reading a few times and never finished.
28. I attended Catholic schools for 13 years and now I'm an agnostic and atheist-in-training.
29. I swear the most when I'm in traffic.
30. The latest I have ever been at work is 1am.
31. I spend way too much money on books.
32. I love receiving personal handwritten snail mail.
33. I could stare at ornamental grasses swaying in the breeze for ages.
34. I was 21 when I first ate KFC (21 glorious years).
35. Being a passenger on long car rides is a joy.
36. Reading on trams and cars makes me motion sick.
37. I panic if I have a feeling I will be late for something, but I hardly ever am.
38. My sense of direction is terrible.
39. Transition seasons of Spring and Autumn in Melbourne are my favourite.
40. I am right handed, but am left handed when throwing a ball and vacuuming.
41. I sometimes try to cut my own hair.
42. The only book that has really terrified me was a collection of short stories by Stephen King called 'Night Shift'.
43. I never knew how difficult it was to think up 50 random things that don't all begin with 'My favourite...', oh here's one: Some days (usually Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays) I just wanna marry Randall Munroe.
44. Century eggs are pretty unappetising to look at, but I love eating them.
45. I have a real phobia about birds.
46. One of these days I will save up and splurge at Flower Drum.
47. Girly fact - I use two perfumes, one for colder months, one for warmer months. It just so happened that when I purchased them, they were during those seasons so now I will always associate the scents with them. I have to ration the colder month one because it is no longer available.
48. When preparing tacos I always cram way too much into the shell because I'm a (greedy) guts.
49. I hardly ever answer the home phone, preferring the answering machine to tell me of the holiday to Cancun I have won twice now.
50. Reiterating number 5, I just ate a whole box of Shapes whilst writing this.

No comments: